Monday, September 17, 2012

The Final Week

Five days before the due date is EXACTLY when you go to a wedding!


Despite many dubious looks and words of concern, I knew that unless I was in labor that morning, we were going to Brett and Nancy's wedding. To me, staying at home and having nothing happen would have been absolutely worse than going and having to leave early. As we get closer to the due date, often times it seems that everyone around me is more freaked out about this impending birth than I am. CGB says I'm being overconfident, but I'm just taking it one day at a time.

When you're told at the beginning of a pregnancy that you may have no choice but to have a cesarean, there isn't much to anticipate. A date will be picked, a time will be set. In addition to us already knowing that we're having a girl and having picked out a name back in January, everything starts to feel like it's running on automatic.

However, when suddenly all the options become available, you feel like you've been given a second chance.  When my placenta previa cleared, I began to appreciate each and every day. I looked forward to my check-ups. Finding out on week 38 that I had effaced from 25%-90% was really cool. Even if it isn't really any indication of timing, it's amazing to know that our bodies just know what to do. The surprise of not knowing when this baby could come is probably the most exciting part of this pregnancy and call it overconfidence or blind optimism, but I for one don't plan to sit around and pace in fear or hide myself away from society. I'm going to (safely) enjoy these last few days (or weeks) as they come. My goal now is to have an unmedicated birth, but lesson learned - I'm staying as flexible as possible.

And BTW, the wedding was absolutely gorgeous. The weather was in the sunny 70s, and we had a blast. By far one of the most beautiful weddings I've attended to date - of course I was crying during the ceremony and of course I had a bite of every dessert offered (2 types of cake, chocolate cupcakes, homemade apple pie, a candy bar of delectables, and make your own s'mores!) To celebrate the occasion, I decided to wear an old vintage dress that my mother wore when she was pregnant with me. I wonder if it will still be fashionable enough for little BBH to wear herself someday...


3 days to go, then BBH starts to collect brownie points. Well, except for the 24th - I think it would be best for both of us if we didn't have the exact same birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment