Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Pregnancy Gods Get Even

If there's anything you learn quickly, it's that every woman is different when it comes to pregnancy symptoms. You can read every book and every site about them, but the grab bag of symptoms you'll get will be unique to you and even different between each pregnancy you have. I considered myself pretty lucky as I only tossed my cookies once. My first trimester was shrouded by a heavy fog of fatigue and I found all my delightful vegetables absolutely revolting, but at least I could eat and all I really had to contend with was some gagging and a mild "hungover" feeling.

By the time I got into the 2nd trimester things were looking pretty damn great! Not only could I eat veggies again, but I was able to move about and feel like my old self. Another thing you learn fairly quickly is that many people are fascinated by the "horrors" of pregnancy. If things are good = it's boring. Gory details? Yes, please! Well, the Pregnancy Gods are quite fair in their hand outs, and they seem to have found a way to torture me.

Since week 23, I've been having horrible side rib pain. The kind that moves from the front to the back and back to the front again. Based on changing sizes, I can tell that my rib cage has already expanded by 3 inches and the muscles surrounding them are revolting. I partly blame myself for all those years of horrible posture, but there's nothing I can do now. I've noticed that pressure points and having SUPER straight posture helps--kinda. The worst part is that I'm not sure how this is going to get better. It appears that I'm carrying very low, and the pain will only get worse as the baby starts to grow bigger and up. That, or it'll stay super low and grow OUT, and I'll really look like a freak.

This past Memorial Day weekend, we visited family in the Midwest and boy was it rough. 90+ degrees plus humidity was not kind to my burgeoning belly. I felt like I was always panting, and my face was a constant flush of pink. By day three, I couldn't sit still even in the cool of the night due to the rib pain and I was completely fed up:

"I'm done. I totally quit. I'm over this." I said in a low tone as I pointed to my belly.
CGB just looked at me. He blinked and echoed back, "You're done?"
"Yes, I can't take any more of this. I can't imagine another four months." I replied.


I admit, not my best moment, but now that I'm back in 60 degree SF, I'm hanging in there, rib pain and all. I can just feel my skin preparing for another growth spurt as my balance starts to shift. Today, just picking up a business card I dropped while waiting for the bus was an effort. I suppose these are all signs of that awkward, annoying third trimester just around the corner...and based on recent developments, I'm gonna bet that my crankiness goes up to 11. Ugh, I just want to just curl into bed and hibernate until September. If only!

No comments:

Post a Comment