Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Then Comes a Baby In a Baby Carriage!

Those that know me best know that I'm highly nontraditional when it comes to how I choose to live and celebrate special occasions. For one, CGB and I were together for 10 years before we got engaged and when we did, per my request, I opted out of having a diamond engagement ring and asked for my birthstone, a sapphire. And it couldn't be any old sapphire, I was pretty adamant that it couldn't be blue (look, when you've been together for that long, you might as well ensure that you get what you want!). Without any hesitation, CGB did a stellar job locating a natural and unequivocally unique lilac sapphire <3.

When it came to our wedding, the story wasn't any different. We didn't have a bridal party, and we married in an art gallery attached to one of our favorite restaurants in the city. We had the honor of CGB's sister agreeing to be both ordained by a universal church, and sworn in by SF county to marry us (CGB wanted to cover all possible bases). No religion, no prayers, but an unbelievably personal and heartfelt story about our 11 year journey to the altar. Even revealing that to this day only one person (maybe two), know the TRUE story of how we first met. She did an incredible, unbelievable job. She had us and our guests entirely engaged either laughing up a storm or wiping away tears for a solid 30 minutes. We also had our rings passed around to each guest during the ceremony for everyone to "bless" with their wishes. When the time came, Charlie and I weren't the only ones to say "I do". Our guests were asked to do all that was in their power to support and encourage us in fulfilling the promises we made that day. Thankfully they agreed.

So now it's time for baby in a baby carriage! Being so particular, I knew that I couldn't let someone else take the reins entirely when it came to the baby shower. Again, to hell with tradition! I'm not waiting until the 7th or 8th month, and why does it have to be thrown by someone outside the family? And please, keep those diapers and melted chocolate bars AWAY from me. None of these are for me. Whatever your preference, I'm of the strong opinion that you gotta make these special events your own. Don't cookie cutter it, they're once in a lifetime moments.

So what do I want? 


I want to celebrate while my appetite strong, and I feel the best. Sure I can't drink, but I want my guests to indulge and gain some sympathy weight - there should be alcohol, and I mean beyond a champagne toast. I don't want doilies and crudités, give me napkins and calories! Not snacks, real food. And damn it, the catering better be well reviewed on Yelp. There's nothing worse than a foodie having to throw a party with bad food...I think that would be a personal horror of mine. Being in San Francisco, I plan to cut my losses and make it an evening event so that people don't have to worry about weather. Also, day drinking isn't nearly as fun as that golden sliver of early evening we like to call "happy hour". Last but not least, it takes two to make a baby so this isn't just my baby shower, it's ours: CGB, Baby Bearhat and I. As such, the invite list will be co-ed and inclusive of both our nearest and dearest. I'm extremely grateful and lucky to have my wonderful in-laws host so I hope they, and everyone we invited takes heed of the invite and: Eats. Drinks...and accordingly acts Merry!

Oh and for the lucky ones that can attend. We'll be revealing gender!

No comments:

Post a Comment