Monday, May 21, 2012

There's A Hole In My Pocket

Usually when you find out that you're pregnant, one of the things you have to adjust to is cutting down on your caffeine intake. When it comes to caffeine, doctors have recommended no more than 150-300 mg of caffeine a day.

I almost never drink soda or caffeinated coffee and it's been that way for years, but today I discovered a very strange trend when I went to check in on my debit card purchases. For the past month, I've been increasingly going to Starbucks for a soy chai latte. Sometimes a tall, sometimes a grande and depending on the weather it may be extra hot or iced. I used to indulge in this treat maybe twice a month. But what I found out today was that the habit was growing, and last week I had imbibed the sweet, slightly spicy beverage every. single. day.


Luckily a grande only holds 75 mg of caffeine, but this was clearly turning into an expensive habit! At about $4 bucks a day, if this trend continued, I would be spending $20 a week. UGH! While other caffeinated preggers are saving money as they cut down on their daily caffeine intake...I must be the only one spending more. Everyone knows that coffeehouse habits eat holes in our pockets, but I've never had to worry about such extraneous spending until now. I guess my baby likes chai.

Well, no more. Today's my wake-up call. I'm going to try my best to nip this habit in the bud and try to save these treats for when I actually meet up with friends or take breaks with co-workers (hopefully down to less than once a week). No more solo chai drinking! However, for those that want to go on a cheap date, take me! It'll only cost you four bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment