Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Two Cats & A Baby

Ever since I was a little girl, I've loved cats. I love them so much I have a dedicated cat blog (and if I ever shirk my duties there for Baby Bearhat, please call me out). Growing up, I had both cats and dogs, but I prefer my dogs adventurous and outgoing and my cats cuddly and calm. Not having the time or space for a dog, I've always focused more on cats.

Lucky for me, CGB also loves cats. When we first moved in together, our place would not allow pets so it was just the two of us for quite a while. That's why when we moved up to San Francisco in 2006, on the top of our apartment wish list was: cats allowed. We moved into a great spot in March and by July of that year, we welcomed our new roommates: Alvin and Piggy. Huddled together in a temporary cage at a bay area PetSmart, they hid from every visitor. While other kittens pawed at us, and wanted desperately to play, these two just cowered in the corner...but we were undeterred. Grey little Piggy caught my eye, and CGB just melted at Alvin's fluffy white chest and marshmallow paws.


Now at 6 years of age, they are the cuddliest, sweetest roommates (if still a bit shy around strangers). After my pregnancy announcement, it surprised me how many people asked if we were going to be keeping them with the baby on the way. Inside all I could think was: HOW IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION?! 

On my first visit back home after sharing the good news, my Mom (a life-long cat hater) simply remarked, "Well, that's it for the cats!" When I shook my head no, and explained that the boys would be staying put, my Dad moved into the conversation with concern, "but...but, it's not good for the baby!" 

And it wasn't just my parents! So what exactly was everyone concerned about? Seems that quite a few people believe that cats will suffocate the baby. This stems from an old myth that cats can "suck out a baby's breath". I've noticed that seemingly normal people have evolved this to: having a cat around isn't good for baby's breathing, or that the cat will suffocate a baby by cuddling with it. Neither are correct. Your baby could be allergic to cats, but there's nothing that makes a cat worse for a baby over a dog, a hamster or any other pet. For more details on this ridiculously evil cat rumor, I recommend heading to Snopes.com.

The bottom line is that you would never leave your baby unattended, right? Well, then suffice to say you wouldn't leave the little one alone with any animal either. That's just common sense! What I wanted to cover in this post, was how to properly introduce your baby. The last thing you want to do is end up with jealousy or behavioral problems that result in isolation or worse...the permanent eviction of your furry friend. Sometimes you're just lucky and your pet will just go with the flow, but the fact remains that countless dogs and cats are abandoned each year because new parents don't take the time and patience to get everyone properly acquainted. Remember, animals have feelings too!

Here are some things I've found in my research that I have already, or plan to implement:
  • Having cuddle time/play time with baby powder on my hands. In general, getting pets to associate baby smells with positive interactions.
  • Gradually playing recordings of an infant crying. Having them get used to the sound versus being alarmed at the sudden onslaught.
  • Providing them with more outlets for stress relief. A new scratching post, maybe a new bed.
  • Increasing the square footage in the apartment.Cats and dogs are territorial, since Alvin and Piggy are indoor cats, I'm considering getting them a higher cat tree so that they can have some height and distance if they feel like the addition of another roommate encroaches on their property.
  • Having CGB bring home baby's scent via a swaddle sheet or blanket before arrival. This gives them a chance to "meet" the baby before it actually enters the home.
  • Enter the home solo and greet your pets (they probably haven't seen you in a few days) before coming in with the baby in your arms, or have another family member hold the baby.
  • Luckily our cats have never been allowed into either of the bedrooms without supervision, but when the baby items start to take over the 2nd room, curiosity will be on high alert. We'll continue to give them room tours and let them browse the changing landscape being careful that they don't sit or sleep on any of baby's soft and cushy things (as enticing as they may seem!).
  • Maintain any routine (feeding, playing) as close as possible after baby's arrival. 
  • Interacting with your pets while the baby is in your arms is a good idea (baby=attention). Ignoring them until baby is asleep sends the opposite message (baby=no attention).


Last, but not least...as baby gets older don't forget that it's equally  important to teach our children how to treat and respect our fellow furry friends. It's a two way street! 

No comments:

Post a Comment